Using Dozens Abroad

Hi
What will fees etc be like for using Dozens abroad (similar to other challenger banks).
I am travelling to vietnam and thailand on Feb 21st so if i have my card by then I will try using it out there.

3 Likes

Good question. Seville for me next month. R-

There will be No fee for making a payment in a foreign currency

We do not charge an additional fee on cross-border currency conversion but please note:

• if you choose to make the payment in the foreign currency, the Mastercard exchange rates in force from time to time will apply;
  • if you choose to make the payment in GBP, the merchant will apply their own exchange rate and may apply their own fees

… so we encourage you to ensure you choose the best option for you at that time.

If you need to check the applicable rates before committing, you can go to this page at any time (and even test the conversion)

1 Like

Any fees from Dozens for ATM withdrawals outside UK? R-

or limits to withdrawals?

Appreciate it’s always best to check, but in my experience, this rate (the merchants conversion rate known as DCC) is ALWAYS quite a bit more expensive.

I’d always opt to pay in local currency. :grinning:

1 Like

none that are charged by dozens at this time, but you will need to check with the ATM/bank in question in case it charges you

same limits as when you are in the UK, there will be a £250 daily limit

Thanks, sorry if some of this is already explained in the app, i’m currently in a queue to get my account.
Do you know what the current wait time is?
It might be nice to have an estimated wait on the app, it says i’m 2970 and 6 people are behind me but i have no time frame to put to these numbers.

We can’t be sure about timeframes, so don’t want to make promises.

We are able to allow limited users to test different parts of the app, but as we fix issues it takes time to find > fix > release so it can be slower that we’d all like

However, the process is underway and hopefully you will get your own access code soon :slight_smile:

No problem. Understand, guessing when fully working wait times won’t really exist.
Just eager :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry to conduct necromancy…

Currently in the US and using Dozens and am finding it really annoying that when the ForEx rate settles that this is coming through as a separate transaction, so a couple of days after an original transaction I might get a 4-6p ‘charge’ which is not a fee, but just the final amount based on the MC rate.

This is compounded with te way they do tips on card here via Signature slip after you’ve paid, as the tip might come through a few days later with dozens as it doesn’t appear to be held as a pending transaction (or at least not displayed as such). Theoretical example to explain:

1st dec

• eat at PubX $30
  • leave a $6 tip on sig slip
  • get instant notification of amount in GBP for principal

3rd dec

• get 4-6p charge settling of ForEx of principal transaction

4th Dec

• Get tip charge in GBP

5-6th Dec

• Get 1-2p charge settling of ForEx for Tip

Net result the single transaction shows up four times - on my tandem Credit Card, for example, it’s one transaction that just shows as pending for several days.

I mentioned this when I was talking to one of your helpful support people whom explained what was going on, but thought I’d just post so the community see.

Is there any chance this will get fixed/adjusted to collate the transactions together?

I do understand and appreciate the issue. I had a similar experience in Canada this summer - though I prefer to tip in cash, so didn’t have that element to deal with.

Yes! This fix is already in the works based on earlier feedback here in the community. I believe it is already more or less ready but I don’t have a specific date for it yet. There are a LOT of changes coming!

You describe the issue very well, and hopefully our updated spend screen will fix all of these issues. It will be interesting to try it out when it is live. Thanks for the feedback and the testing.

How is it otherwise? I found I got a lot of comments about the :dozens_card: when using it abroad

3 Likes

Good to hear :slight_smile:

it’s been variable, too many places try to swipe it and don’t ask if it’s debit or credit, and it just gets declined outright, a few have used Chip and Sig which while it doesn’t always work (Outback Steakhouse didn’t the Buffet at my hotel did) seems to have a higher success rate. Some of the bigger chain stores use Chip and PIN (7-11) and I’ve had no issues with that. Contactless worked once or twice I think, but mostly that didn’t work.

Luckily I also carry Curve, and 99% of the time Curve → Dozens has worked, a couple of things I had to pay with my Tandem Credit card direct which I also carry.

WRT comments, a few people just said ‘i’ve never seen a :dozens_card: like that before’

2 Likes

Also, while I’m here, can you also tell your magical transaction computer that DLR is Disney Land Resort not Docklands Light Railway if the transaction is in California :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like