IFTTT rules: ideas and issues

If you give me an example of what you are trying to do we can try to help …

I’m not used to making lots of my own applets, but I have made a few and I’m also looking at how we can do more with IFTTT so if it is not possible today, it is something we may be able to try to make work for the future

The key is to have a measurable “trigger”. You need something to actually happen (that is connected to IFTTT) … and once that happens, it is easy to get the Dozens action (save money) to happen

I thought of one fresh idea.

I want to set a £1 savings every time I get up by 8am. And subsequebtly, £5 as a punishment if I let the alarm snooze forever.

I’m thinking, maybe I should hook up the IFTTT as follows.
If … Phone steps count hit 150 by 8:15am, Then… Save £1 (assumption is being awake should log some physical activity)

If… Phone steps count is less than 50 by 8:30am, Then… Save £5

·············
Any thought on this?
I think this would work, rather than by detecting data from alarm clock?
Also, if realistically this is to work, how should I program it in Dozens or IFTTT?

Thanks for chipping in.

2 Likes

Oh I LOVE that

(just don’t get in the shower too early or you’ll miss your target!)

OK, I have that as a challenge now to see if I can create it. What step counter do you use? Are you a FitBit user by any chance?

I’m not .

I’m using Huawei android phone. And usually look at the phone’s step counter.

Just downloaded and sign up on IFTTT.

I think I know what’s one problem… IFTTT doesn’t allow it to simply connect to apps and data sources that are already in the phone? Or I need to activate these services to talk (trigger) each other?

Also another idea.

I often buy a bag of fruits a week, and put it on the desk and consume it. I think it’s healthy, also saves a lot of money! Consider buy individual fruit is 30, 40p, and buy a bag is only £1+. But I only meet my target like 50-60%

It would be nice, if I pay with Dozens at Tesco (which is where I normally buy en route), and that Dozens knows that I bought fruit, triggers the savings to add £1 as a reward / encouragement

Taking inspiration from the Summer Savings Challenge…

I’ve created the same thing for dozens - very easy.

Use Weather Underground as Trigger and dozens Save as Action.

2 Likes