An update from Dozens and Project Imagine about Wirecard

The latest email may just be worded badly, but it does say

all payments have been temporarily suspended

Though that could mean card payments :man_shrugging:

That’s what I thought from the email, that card payments were affected. Not payments to other banks. I transferred my wages in to my dozens account a few days ago so could really do with transferring it to somewhere I can get access to it!

If transfers to other banks are affected then how can dozens say that Wirecard are used for card issuing services only?

This needs urgent clarification…

1 Like

We have just sent the following message via email and on our blog to all customers.

At this stage, this is what we are able to say, and that this affects card and account payments at this time.

We are working incredibly hard to resolve this, and will update you further the moment we can:

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. One question, if dozens only use Wirecard for card issuance why are account payments affected?

The best of luck with sorting this out, no doubt it’s a stressful time at the moment!

1 Like

I’m with Pinuk. I don’t understand why account payments are affected if dozens only use Wirecard for card transactions?

Something is seriously wrong here.

Please let us know.

Hi guys, payments are affected because your balances are linked to our card service - as you would expect. The card service is operated by GPS who unilaterally switched off load, unload APIs for all balance adjustments (ie including payments) although the FCA agree with us that its completely outside the scope.

It didn’t help that all these actions came late on a Friday with no prior warning to us - we are now working through the weekend to cut out our payments infrastructure completely from GPS and I expect this to be completed and tested on Production within 2-3 days. This will bring everything except cards back. It may also be that FCA and GPS speak about us before this is released and switch non-card balance adjustments back on.

Next step: issue new Visa cards to you within 4-6 weeks and try and issue virtual cards even faster if we can.

Am personally monitoring and leading the charge here, so please rest assured there is nothing more murky here than just the complex way our payments service operates to maintain balances synchronously across all asset classes (current account, card, cash savings etc). We will be back on our feet very soon.

15 Likes

I will monitor this thread frequently so please ask any and all questions here for me to answer. Thank you so much for your patience for the next couple of days.

As much as it pains me to ask you to take your balance away from us because some buffoons swindled money and some even more idiotic accountants failed to do basic checks (absolutely unbelievable misses in first order auditing, that are hard to explain without complicity across various entities and locations), your needs are more paramount than our commercial success. We are here to serve you, and hope you will come right back with even more as we use this crisis to expedite new cards, and account services like Direct Debit etc.

Fyi, I have asked our Service team to stand down over the weekend till either GPS switches non-card APIs back on, or we implement the go-around. Our Service team is comprised of many young and talented individuals who will simply not be able to do anything while taking understandably frustrated calls from customers. The occupational hazard of their role is dealing with irate customers and even abusive fraudsters more often than not - in this instance, given my responsibilities extend to them as much as they do to you, it is my call that exposing them to service calls without giving them means to help out is not worth it.

So, if you have any complaints please direct them towards me. And again, we are working incredibly hard to reinstate payments very very quickly - and as your money with us has nothing to do with Wirecard, it stays completely safe in our bank accounts till that happens. This is different to many other fintechs affected by this fallout so do bear that in mind.

Thanks again for understanding.

18 Likes

Thanks for the updates and the detail they contain. As mentioned previously, I appreciate this must also be a stressful time for all at dozens.

Please keep us updated on progress regarding payments, I can live without my card for weeks but need access to the money in my account as soon as possible.

The Wirecard situation is terrible. I thought that they were a sound organisation and would have trusted them with my money more than many of the Fintechs that used them. How wrong can you be?

2 Likes

Totally understandable @Pinuk - you know whats worse is that GPS initially didn’t switch off these non-card APIs for us so we actually spent Friday post lunch coming up with a comms and mitigation plan that got shredded at 7 pm last night when they arbitrarily switched it off without even letting us know (we clocked it only because Gerda was sniffing around some payments as she is prone to doing on Friday evenings for some inexplicable reason :slight_smile:).

So simply for getting caught in this crossfire for no reason, we then had to completely change course on comms and tech priorities from 7-11 pm through a mammoth effort from the team who had already had a pretty rough week. I can tell you watching this team in action yesterday was a privilege I will remember for the rest of my life.

For every Wirecard, there is a Project Imagine to appeal to the better angels of human nature… there is hope.

PS: We have a call with the FCA this morning, so clearly busy time for them too. Lets hope we can influence the GPS change very soon - failing that, the backup plan should be in place by Wednesday.

11 Likes

I appreciate this is a challenging situation, but this is causing me severe problems. My subscriptions paid for by my dozens card are getting cancelled e.g. I’ve just received this for a critical IT service:

“We were unable to process the payment for your recurring monthly subscription to [XYZ]. This transaction has been declined, possibly because your credit card associated with your payment method has expired.”

Do you know when the card will start working again?

In the meanwhile, I’m left with no choice but to switch all my payments to a proper bank.

1 Like

I understand @DozensFan - as I said, as much as it pains us to unravel some of the good work done so far, we cannot escape the fact that in our early years we are not immune to unforeseen industry effects resulting from inadequacies at our much larger partners - especially those that are as big as Wirecard.

We have let the FCA know exactly about the issues people like you are facing today - that in our opinion is without any need to, and am hopeful they will understand and act swiftly.

So, I hope we can bring you your access back quicker than Wednesday (which is when the workaround should be live) with help from the FCA - so you can move money to wherever you need to, and then I also hope you will return back with gusto in a month or two, once our cards are back up.

12 Likes

Update: we have put across our views to the FCA who have agreed that transactions not relating to Wirecard should not be caught, and we understand they will be having a call with GPS shortly.

If this results in the load/unload/balance APIs being turned back on, you won’t need to wait till later in the week for the workaround (we will still build it out anyway, just in case) to get access to your money and payments, and all other Dozens products like bonds, etf’s etc.

We have also spoken to Visa, GPS and our card bureau Nitecrest to help activate our new setup super fast - hopefully within 4 weeks with brand new physical Dozens cards. Everyone is being super helpful.

Will keep you posted.

13 Likes

I mean this in a slightly dark humour way - 2020 happenings mean I never leave my bedroom while managing a crisis, and request the regulator on a Saturday (busy weekend for everyone involved) to let our card processor make it easier for our customers to take their money out of Dozens (so they can still use a card should they wish to).

:man_facepalming:t2:

Flippancy aside, as small as we are still, I hope in our own way we can set the bar for how financial institutions MUST behave in a situation like this - with respect to regulators (firm but respectful), partners (helping them navigate equally complex decisions from their perspective), team (close coordination, backup plans, stay upbeat, seniors protect youngsters), and of course customers (your needs far outstrip our business goals).

Together, #wearedozens.

PS: Adeyinka, if you are here, your “In Dozens we trust.” post made the day for so many of us. Thank you so much. :pray:t3:

12 Likes

I’ve just popped on here to see what’s happening, but was moved to say a massive thank you to @AC for taking the time to keep everyone updated during what’s no doubt an incredibly stressful period for everyone involved.

Massive kudos to you, and everyone else at Dozen/Imagine.

Looking forward a bit of a retrospective and some technical insight about what you’re having to do in a compressed time. But that can wait until it’s over, you’ve had a breather and the world gets back to… normal? (I don’t really know what that means for 2020 either).

10 Likes

What does this mean for people who only use dozens as their main account how am I meant to pay bills send money guy necessities

@Janelle everything except cards will work as soon as we have a change from GPS (could be in next few hours) or we change our payments workflow to exclude GPS (next few days). I am so sorry for any inconvenience to you in this time and trust me, we are working on overdrive for the quicker option - we are as much caught in the crossfire as you are.

1 Like